Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My family and the 21st chromosome

We chose not to move forward with the cvs yesterday. We submitted a blood sample to Maternit21. Results back in about 10 days.

I am 14 wks, but the baby measured at 15 wks yesterday. The geneticist felt this was a good reason to conclude our risk for Trisomy 18 was, in fact, probably less than 1/27.

I love geneticists. Love them. So wise and kind and sensitive. She followed our lead that the diagnosis of Down Syndrome was not worth jeopardizing our pregnancy. It will not be designated as bad news should s/he have an extra chromosome in 21.  It will just be part of who the child is. Just like Jay is donor egg, he's still my guy.  This baby still wants love more than anything else.

The size of the baby does not impact our potential to have a baby with Ds (Down Syndrome, for those in the know).  The u/s produced a nasal bone that was not present previously.  Still just another fact. Not a clear indicator of the number of chromosomes hanging out in location 21.

I am downright JOYOUS to write off Trisomy 18. Yeah, I know it's not totally eradicated but I'm saying it is.

I found another tribe of Mommas. The Ds Mommas. You should see the way that they care for each other and any family interested in learning their ways.  I know I'll never be alone or want for support if I needed it. Mommas are amazing. Amazing.

The so-called Momma Wars don't exist in my world. I got you guys. I got them. You all have me. I am blessed beyond measure, yay though I kinda cringe at that word.  Lucky. Grateful. So very grateful.

Thanks for your support. Tell me what I can do for you.

21 comments:

  1. Love to you and yours. This baby is and will be so loved no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for the peace you have found with everything, and for this baby who will be born into such love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I have resources should Ds be a reality in your world. Many many many resources, people, support, and Momma's who will share in your joy at bringing a child with Ds into your family. Yep, I said it. Joy.

    You got this, momma. You do. And you've got us. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you did the test. Are you going to find out gender? If you don't want to know make sure they cross it out on the report for you. One of my best friends has a DS child. he is sweet, loving, clever, and just as much as a spunky 2 year old as the rest of the gang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't commented Roccie but you have been on my mind lately. You have got this and this baby will be so loved.

    Ke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you received some reassurance on Trisomy 18 and will be praying for your peace as you await the Maternit21 results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes lots of information is too much information - so much of it is still hugely speculative despite the science. Good for you for finding a pocket of peace in the middle of the craziness.

    Ds kids are pure pure love and joy. Truly. And you're right about the incredibly supportive community - whether you end up part of them or not they are beautiful, accepting people.

    Hoping you can continue to hang onto your equilibrium through the rest of your "roccie road". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a wonderful post, full of love. You are one wonderful momma. Sending many good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, so glad that one thing can be ruled out. Hoping for more good news to come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. You are already a great momma to this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt much the same way -- scared at the idea of having a Trisomy 13 or 18 baby who could survive birth but have a short, painful life, but fine with having a Trisomy 21 baby. We had twins who each had their own placenta, so we elected not to do amnio despite my AMA -- no Maternit21 test available at the time. My thinking was that a severe genetic issue incompatible with survival past birth (or long past birth) would definitely show up on ultrasound one way or another, and we could handle anything else. It's an individual decision for each family. So glad you have a non-invasive option available, and glad that it looks like the most extreme scenario (so to speak) is DS. Our kids each just have the 46 chromosomes, but some friends of mine have DSers who light up their lives. Those DS mamas and daddies are indeed spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a beautiful soul and a beautiful mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish there were more human beings on the planet like you. Love is all you need, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, can I first just get this off my chest: What the fuck. Why more torture and waiting and wondering for you. I just don't understand it.

    Moving on, I can see you're already headed in this direction, but just making sure you know about this lovely lady: http://www.kellehampton.com. She absolutely rocks it. I'm not saying I think this is what is happening, and there's a very good chance you have a totally healthy baby in there just making things exciting. But just offering another light on the path if your mind heads in that direction. There is so much love to be had no matter what.

    I hope you know I'm in your huddle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great post, Roccie. Yes, this baby wants love more than anything. Turns out, you've got that to offer in spades. Your heart is just so full of love.
    Thank you for what you continue to teach us, dear, wise woman. I appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a mama warrior. I hold you in my heart. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I big fluffy heart you. No matter what, this baby is already loved beyond measure. That is beautiful. You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely heart you have. Thinking of you and hoping for good news.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a big loser. Cvs wasn't even available given my situation. T21test was our stay against amnio. Strong mama and my hope is for healthy happy baby and safe mama.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lotta love in this post, is right. All I have is foggy memory and speculation of why the word blessed makes you cringe. Grateful and joyous look beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful perspective. You might consider reading (if you haven't already) Far From the Tree. An amazing book about "exceptional" children. There is a large section on DS.

    ReplyDelete