Sunday, September 23, 2012

And we'll all float on okay

Note: this post is purely self indulgent and I cannot imagine anyone finding it interesting unless you are in my shoes or your initials are CS.

My Jaybird is feeling better today.  Roseola.  (Several days of a very high fever followed by spots that cause no discomfort.)

Fool that I am, I thought I was back on the exclusive breastfeeding train.  How wrong I was.  But, I don't feel so down about it this time, in fact, it makes me laugh.  Gives me insight to the little man Jay will become some day.

Bottles were wasted for four glorious days in my house.  The Prince would have nothing to do with them.  I ruled this house with a kind and generous hand.  My reign of his crib was a short, peaceful, glorious time.

Today was different.  

Happy morning; I saw Jay-smiles and Jay-bouncing.  I saw him Leah-chasing and dog-chasing.  

I would leap at his command for milk.  He would nurse for..... 2 minutes.

Play.

Crawl up and ask me.  Nurse for one minute.

Play.

Crawl up and ask me.  Nurse for one minute.  

This went on for 8-9 times.  Then he was at my feet crying Mammammmmmaammmaa.  I tried to nurse one more time, then said the dreaded word he had clearly forgotten:  "ba ba, ba ba" and fetched it for him.  He drained it with laser focus.

At bedtime, I nursed him on both sides.  He quickly frustrated with my left (the lame mastitis breast) and moved to my right.  He drank happily for a bit... then started to beat it with his tiny, fat fist.

I looked deeply into his eyes and said the word that used to feel like poison on my lips: "ba ba".  He bounced and repeated it back to me: "BA BA, BA BA"!

He drank half the bottle, then batted it away.  He asked for Momma again and quickly fell asleep at the breast.

Tears, but the good kind this time.

Sometimes I love him so much I cannot even see straight.

9 comments:

  1. I love Jay for Jay, but also for how he makes you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've focused on pregnancy for so long, sometimes I barely have the energy or discipline to, uh, prepare for parenting. So I'm always happy for these little glimpses into the ups and downs of motherhood. Can't say I understand, but always appreciate you sharing your story, and of course wish you and your babes the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet. I'm glad he's got you!

    Now I'm breaking out that modest mouse album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it's good to note that he at least took to the breast for a bit. Sorry it wasn't for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made my heart melt. I agree, with a heart like ice cream, it don't take much. But what a tender moment between a son and his mama (and his ba ba).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Sweet Jay. Congratulations! Just back from a loooong hiatus (let's face it -- it was actually a depression. I just didn't have the good sense to take medicine as you do -- so it took me a year to dig out.) from blogging. So happy to hear you have your sweet boy and are working through all the bittersweet that is bringing up baby. I've missed my blogger friends so!

    ReplyDelete