I also couldnt remember what the deal was as I started IVF3. When did the Lupron manifest itself? What day was it when I came home and fired the cleaning service before I even took my coat off? When did I tell the Director of Finance she was acting like a child at work? How did I not get fired? I wanted to be able to look back and "do the math" on the dates to warn my friends to run for the hills.
My head is exploding with information, so I must get it down while it is still fresh. Remember, this has an uneducated patient spin on the data, so read with a grain of salt. It turns out to be a standard protocol, but it was new to me.
- What is my resting/antral follicle count?
No ultrasound at WTF session. I seem to hover right in the 5-10 range. Not a great place to be, but it is better than the 0-5 range RE tells me. I agree.
- WTF is resting follicle count and WTF makes you think it will change this month?
We are not banking on a change in the antral count, but instead changing the protocol to drive up the number of eggs retrieved using EPP, estrogen priming protocol.
EPP is a 2 step process where the ovaries are primed the month prior to stimulation to recruit eggs. The meds start after ovulation - estrogen and ganirelix. The regular stims kick in after my period the next month.
- I want MF details on my follicles. How many did I have:
- for IVF 1, when we got 3 sucky eggs, all moved on a day 3 transfer? BFN.
Didnt find out as first cycle was with Boutique Fertility, not my current Large Fertility Operation. I can get the info later.
- for IVF 2, when we got 8 decent eggs, a day 5 transfer of 2 embryos resulting in one delicious baby and an embryo for the freezer?
- If my resting was low when we started IVF-3-turned-IUI, WTF made you think it would produce enough eggs to warrant IVF?
10 follicles. Go figure. So much for my theory They-Should-Have-Known-This-Cycle-Would-Suck.
- What is my damn FSH and why isn't it a good indicator of ovarian reserve?
5.6 and I believe is it desirable to remain under 10. Decent number but not great. I now understand it to be an indicator on your response to the stims.
- WTF. I am 40 in December. Early December.
My age seems to be the tolling bell of doom, not my FSH. Fucking 40.
- I want to know my embryo classifications/grades/etc. WTF went wrong to cause the FET to never develop a heartbeat, despite good beta scores?
I ended up not being able to ask this question. It is an untold story for me. It is too close to pain and goes well beyond the miscarriage. I hope to be able to talk about it someday.
- Speaking of which, WTF were my beta numbers exactly?
The numbers should increase by 66%. Mine were good, despite a deep feeling they might have really been borderline, but no one told me. It is heart-breaking to see how promising they looked:
94, 175, 425, 3226 (86%, 140%, 659%)
- Uterine biopsy to encourage implantation. WTF (whythefuck, not what) isn't everyone talking about this?
RE knew all about this concept and has used it with success on other patients. I dont have a problem with implantation. My first IVF over suppressed me, the 2nd I got pregnant (live, healthy birth), and the 3rd I got pregnant (miscarriage). This is an interesting option I hope someone else can use.
- Moxa and acupuncture
Stress is the number one and the only thing I can control. RE is a fan of doing what it takes to calm my uptight self off the ledge.
- CoQ10 and WTF else?
Husband and I are both taking 200mg/day. He is also on the other general vitamins for MFI fellas. I am taking loads of other vitamins, but CoQ10 is new. I work at a place with a nutrition sister company and have access to loads of great vitamins. Please don't think all vitamins are all created the same. I would love to share the details with you if you are interested. They are expensive, but I really believe in them.
- Damn caffeine I had a couple months ago. WTF didnt RE tell me it was poison?
RE really came through on this one. Caffeine impacts your uterine lining, not eggs. Thank jaw, I do not have a problem with my lining. Guess what I am doing on the way to work tomorrow? Misto, ladies, misto. Outta my system in 8 hours. If only all drugs rinsed this clean....
- Something about ICSI on immature eggs allowed to mature in vitro. WTF didn't we do this last time? Did I lose viable eggs?
This is leading edge technology but a separate plan than mine. They retrieve early without stimulation and grow the eggs outside your body. Not sure I fully understand it, but it is n/a to our plans. The other version of this story is a standard stim and retrieval where all follicles are aspirated. Large Fertility Operation routinely allows immature eggs extra time to grow. I didn't lose anything.
- Next stop if this protocol doesn't work they way we want: DEHA and growth hormone. This was also in the same discussion as breast cancer, so I am not sure how much I like this plan. Way too early to worry about it. I dont want to be against ourselves.
- Royal jelly - some type of traditional medicine. I need to google it. Anyone know it?
- A batch of frozen backup sperm would not have helped our crap Male Factor counts at IUI. The thaw is brutal on sperm - much worse than eggs. This was a great relief to husband. I found out kind of he blames the IUI failure on himself. Absurd, but completely understandable.
PS - Interesting IVF protocol discussion website.